Monday, March 25, 2013
Asteroid DA2013cl2 Does Not Exist, it Won't Hit Earth on the 25th (it's a Hoax)
This is a hoax. There are a number of ways you can tell it is a hoax.
1) The story is illustrated with a picture of comet C/2011 L4 PanSTARRS, not an asteroid.
2) It does not have a real asteroid name, asteroids that do not have proper names (like 4 Vesta), are named year, alphabetical identifier, numerical identifier (eg 2012 DA14). There's a 2013 CL2, but that comes nowhere near us, there's a 2013 CL22, which has a 1/10,000,000 chance of hitting us in 2064, but nothing that fits the hoax description.
3) A 300 meter asteroid impact would be serious, with an impact energy of 1110 Mt or TNT, creating a crater 4.6 Km in diameter, but it's no civilisation killer. The Cretaceous/Tertiary impactor that did in the dinosaurs (at least in part) was around 10 Km in diameter.
4) Outside of the various posts promulgating this story, there is no astronomy Professor Herbert Raymond Brown. Yes, there is a Ryamond Brown who works in science communication and outreach at NASA, but he is not Professor Herbert Raymond Brown
5) There is no high risk asteroid of any sort in the asteroid hazard lists.
Thanks for a great blog!
Links to this post: