.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

 

Mira is Brighter!

Image, photo of Cetus taken from my backyard at around 10:45 pm ACDST, the variable star Mira is indicated (Cannon IXUS, 15 seconds at ASA 400). Click to embiggen.

I just went out into the back yard and Mira was quite obvious. In a previous post (here, with spotters maps and a magnitude comparison chart) I reported that very early on in the month Mira was already near the brightest it usually gets, and people were predicting a quite bright maximum this year.

My estimate makes it around magnitude 2.5, it is definitly brighter than magnitude 3, but it may have passed maximum brightness while the full Moon was out. I'll definitely be following this star with interest over the next few weeks.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?