.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 20, 2008

 

Vale Arthur C Clarke

Renowned Science Fiction author, visionary and all round good guy Arthur C Clarke has died at the age of 90 in his adopted home, Siri Lankar. Commentary can be found here, here, here and here.

Clarke was one of the big influences of my teenager and young adult years. For me the big three were ABC (Asimov, Bradbury and Clarke, the usual list is Asimov, Clarke and Henlein, but Bradbury impressed me more). I remember reading 2001 and being blown away. I scoured our school library for his books. "A fall of Moondust", "Nine Billion names of God", :The Sentinel" and who cannot read "The Star" without a shiver. Farewell Arthur, the world was richer for you.

Labels:


Comments:
He will be sorely missed. Read "2001" (of course), and Childhood's End, and now I'm reading Earthlight, which has been sitting on my shelf for a few years.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?