.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, August 12, 2005

 

Morning Perseids



The Perseids are a reliable northern hemisphere meteor shower where observers may see about a meteor a minute. In the Australia, the point of origin of the shower lies very close to the horizon, below it if you are south of Brisbane. Nonetheless, even though we see few meteors, the sight of the occasionall meteor streaking up form the horizon is fantastic. The image shows the northern sky around 4.00 am on Saturday 13 August, the best time for us southern hemisphere types to see it. The stylized meteors are greatly exagerated in brightness, they will be much dimmer than that. So if you rug up and go out between 3.00 am and 5.00 am you may see something nice (and Mars, the Pleiades and Hyades will be good to look at anyway).

Comments:
Going to get up early and see if I can see anything. I remember a few years back we had a really good Leonids shower, it was a sight to behold.

How do you get the meteor showers to show up in stellarium? I remember seeing them when I used it a few years ago, but I can't for the life of me get them to show now. It's really handy to figure out what time and in which direction to look.
 
In Stellarium 9 its at the bottom of the configuration tab that handles planet names, scale etc. However, it shows the position of the Leonid's only.
 
Thanks for the reply, I've only just realised that I've responded to a post that is now 4 years old :P
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?